DIY - Decorative Chalkboard

I have been looking FOR. EVER. for a decorative chalkboard for my photography business. I have been to Hobby Lobby a few times looking (couldn't find them) and have looked online but I have the tendency to not buy much online if I can hold it in my hands first.

Well. I have a maternity session coming up and the girl desperately wanted to recreate a picture she found on Pinterest. So off to Hobby I went, dragging both girls with me. Now when I go to Hobby Lobby I really wish I could go alone, there is so much to take in and when you have a 3 and 5 year old fighting in a cart, one really has a hard time browsing. I decided to ask for them instead of just walking around looking. Apparently they didn't have any decorative ones.

So. Whats a girl to do? I had the bright idea to buy this picture frame (at half off no less!) and some chalkboard paint.


 So I popped the glass out and went to work on spraying the cardboard back with chalkboard paint. The bottle says 2 coats will work but I think I ended up doing about 5. I think maybe the texture of the backing was soaking up all the paint. Anyways. I loved the finished product! Its exactly what I wanted and cost me a little less then $15. The picture frame is normally $20 so 1/2 off was a steal!



I'm also planning to use it from now on for first and last day of school pictures! I've always done the picture but now I can use this to write the grade! (I know when I'm old I'm going to look back on the pictures and not remember WHICH year of school it actually is. lol) =)

Comments

Popular Posts