Build Em Up - Creative Correction {Link Up}

Ooooh. This is a subject that is so hard for me. Not because I am scared of correcting my children, I think that children need boundaries and when they do something wrong there needs to be repercussions, but I think it is soooo different for each child.

For those new here, Addie has Special Needs. Even now at 6 she can't communicate with us like most kids do. (To find out more about what we are dealing with you can read this post here) And sometimes she has an even harder time understanding things. So her punishments mainly consist of time out, because if I raise my voice a tiny bit and send her to her room, thats it for her. She knows she did something wrong and she knows she is in trouble for doing it. Usually she will even sit and cry the entire time she is in there when she is allowed to get up she comes and wants me to give her hugs and kisses. She is a very tender-hearted kid and if she thinks someone is mad at her, she can't handle it. If I were to do anything more then time out, she would probably fall apart.

Baylie Bug on the other hand could care less if you sit her in time out. She thinks its funny and will get right back up and do it again. So with her, we've really started to take things away. She really, really hates to get her princess high heel shoes taken away or the iPad, or even her dress up clothes. Recently she is starting to lie to us (she's 3) and this has been hard to punish and I'm still looking for new ideas (anyone with any PLEASE throw them this way)!

I think in the end, discipline has to be formed around the child. I know one way does not and will not work for both of my kids.

I'm really looking forward to reading what others do in their homes. It might give me some new and unique consequences that I might not have ever thought to try!

Comments

  1. correction is tough. really tough for kids without special needs. saying a special prayer for you today. i know you are such a tough/strong momma and specially made for your kids. there is a girl in orlando named tara concelman - she started her behavior company for kids after her child had autism. feel free to contact her. i bet she'd be a huge help for you if you ever need it. hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts